PayPal is one of the leading money transfer services across the globe that has gained prominence in the world of e-commerce. With the help of PayPal, users can send and receive money in just a few clicks. PayPal is a safe, and fast platform to let the buyers do online shopping with ease and confidence.
When the transaction takes place between a seller and buyer, PayPal Buyer Protection plan can help both the parties with the refund process. If the buyer is not satisfied with the received product or asking for an unauthorized amount, PayPal refund policy states clear rules that are to be strictly followed.
Whether you are a seller or buyer, you must know the provisions of PayPal Refund Policy. Read on to find out.
What is PayPal Refund Policy?
PayPal Refund Policy are the rules and regulations that users must follow to understand the concept of refunds while using PayPal for payments. Online shoppers can ask for a refund in case they receive a broken product, or the item does not fit the seller’s description. The seller will reimburse the money, and the delivery charges will be borne by PayPal.
180-day refund period
According to the PayPal Refund Policy, the default window is 180 days from the transaction date to get a refund on your purchase. Make sure that the product you are asking the refund for does not violate PayPal policies.
Three ways to request a refund:
- Cancel the PayPal payment
Sometimes a user can send money to the wrong recipient by mistake. But the transaction can be cancelled, only if the person has not claimed the payment. Here is what you can do:
- Open the PayPal app and log into your account.
- Scroll down to reach the payment you want to cancel.
- Select the ‘Cancel’ option that appears next to the concerned transaction.
- Click the ‘Cancel Payment’ option to confirm.
- Send an email to the seller
You can also simply contact your seller via email in case your refund has not been processed.
- Sign in to your PayPal account.
- Select the transaction you wish to cancel.
- Search for the seller’s information.
- Send the refund request by email.
- Issue a dispute to Paypal
If the seller/recipient is unresponsive or unwilling to refund your money, you can open a dispute on the official platform as per the PayPal Refund Policy. To do so, following these steps:
- Go to the PayPal app and login to your account.
- Visit the ‘Resolution Center.’
- Select the option ‘Report a Problem’.
- Choose the payment you want a refund for.
- Make sure you carry out this process within 20 days of opening the dispute.
PayPal Refund status
Once you initiate the PayPal refund request, you can check the money in the original source of payment. It usually takes a couple of business days if you have paid through PayPal balance. In case the payment was done using a credit card, it will take 30 days to get the refund in your card. The status of your PayPal refund is depicted next to the transaction in question. This is how the PayPal refund status looks like:
- Temporary Hold
- Refunded or Partially Refunded
PayPal Refund Policy for sellers
If the product does not meet the expectations of the buyers, sellers have to issue full or partial refunds by following the steps given below:
- Launch the PayPal app on your device.
- Open your account.
- Go to the ‘Activity’ section.
- Select the transaction you wish to refund.
- Choose the tab –‘Issue a Refund.’
- Enter the amount to be refunded.
- Click the ‘Issue a Refund’ option to confirm.
Once you raise a refund request, you need to wait for 5-7 business days for the refund to reflect in your account balance. I hope you found this post on the PayPal Refund Policy helpful. If you wish to know more about PayPal or its services, you can check out our ‘Blog’ section which is equipped with informative articles. Because in several instances, you would be needing a helping hand to enhance your knowledge about PayPal.